We've got a ton of great low-cost decorating ideas
that will give your home that extra pizzazz without breaking the wallet!
Little Changes, Big Difference!
11 Frugal Decorating Tips to Add Style to Your Home
If you don't have the time or the funds for a full home renovation, here
are 11 quick decorating tips to add a little excitement and style to
your living area.
1. Wallpaper borders: You don't have to paint or fully cover
walls to add a bit more interest. Try wallpaper borders. They even come
in stick on format. Simply peel and stick! Remove without
damage to walls. I bought a simple horse decor package at WalMart,
and my nieces went wild! They had horses all over their walls.
Check out our frugal bedroom decor
2. Add a Throw Rug: Even if you already have a carpeted room, you
can add a brightly colored or uniquely patterned rug for a different
look. You can place them at floor level, mid-level or up at the ceiling.
And best of all, you can often find some good rugs at yard sales and
3. Put Valances on the Window: A window valance is simply a small
decorative curtain. It's much shorter and it's only function is to look
pretty on a bare window or a window with blinds. They can be lots
cheaper than full curtains, and I like them just as well.
4. Try New Ceiling Lighting or a New Lamp: It's amazing what a
difference lighting can make in a home. And thrift stores are full of
lamps of all kinds. See our Frugal
Lighting Tips here.
5. Add Color: There are so many ways to add color to your
home. You can do it with towels, throw pillows, table skirts, folding
screens, new bedsheets and more. Check for the white sales that
occur throughout the year for some awesome bargains.
Check out our frugal bathroom decor ideas
6. Paint Your Cabinets: Not ready for new cabinets? If you
have wooden cabinets, you can easily paint them with acrylic paint made
for wood. If your town has a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store shop,
look there for gallons of paint.
See our Frugal Kitchen Decorating Ideas here.
7. Frame Your Walls: It's time to frame some of your favorite
photographs and spruce up your wall space. Visitors love to view
these areas, so you'll have to keep the area right around the pics clean
8. Add New Decorative Light Switch Covers: Forget about plain and
boring white or beige light covers. You'd be amazed at what some simple
change like this can make to a room!
9. Add Cushions to Your Chair: Not only will it create a new look
for your chairs, but it might cover up some of those scratches that
build over time.
10. Change Your Door Handles: Door handles aren't too complicated
to change and come in a variety of styles and color choices.
11. Candles always make a home look more cozy!
Check out our ideas on decorating
with candles here.
Not all home makeovers require a contractor and thousands of dollars. If
you have a bit of time this weekend, now's the perfect time to get
started with these frugal redecorating ideas.
(c) 2008 Frugalsniff.com